|Newsletter | DOTM | About|
PD Howler 2020 (v13) is free for a limited time (through around July 29)
....in cooperation with SharewareOnSale.com
About Howler Free Giveaway Upgrades Videos+Tutorials Reviews - more: 2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019
HOT! Check the latest use cases from our Newsletters: The Dogwaffler of the Moment!
What is Project Dogwafle? What is PD Howler?
PD Howler is a digital painting program (software for Windows PC) with many added features for creative minds, to make animations, working on video clips, do 3D renderings on GPU of landscapes, and visual special effects. It started as a paint program and includes a ton of brushes of many types, including foliage particle brushes, custom-image based and animated brushes, even brushes that respond to sound.... In a way, it is a mix of several tools. It's not prefect in all ways, it is only 20+ years young. We, the developers, are pushing 3x that. It is a product of passion, made by an artist, for you other artists.
We just created this in Howler 2020 >>>>
Summary of Main Features:
- Digital painting with many types of brushes, including natural media brushes, particle brushes, foliage brushes, custom image and animated brushes + Huge collection of filters, many of them animated(!)
- Video frame editing and post work for special FX, traditional frame-by-frame animation and working with video on video, motion prediction, frame processing, tracking, chromakeying, green screen, compositing, rotoscoping, etc...
- 3D capabilities including elevation map based 3D terrain generation, global illumination and ray tracing on CPU and in the GPU! See an animation of a sunrise here for example: https://youtu.be/ElLYVfsac6U - and watch over a thousand free tutorials at youtube.com/pdhowler - look for the 40+ playlists in various categories
Full Features List
There are many features included. Not everything you want or need, but for the price, it will keep you happy and busy for a long time to come. We can work with spritesheets for games, with exposure sheets for lipsynching, we can do motion stabilization, super-slow motion with motion estimated interpolation (motion prediction). We can paint a complete tree with a single brush stroke. Howler some with dozens of filter effects, for still images and animations alike. There's a Frame painter, and there's a Paint-framer filter. Confused yet? we think it's rather stimulating and entertaining. Pick some particle brushes and adjust the numerous settings to see wind-blown grass. Or use Optipustics brushes with audio input to let Vivaldi or Wagner have a say in your brusgh'es appearance - the louder the bigger!
You will see free updates for 365 days for the latest version when you buy a full or upgrade to the latest.
Main Features List:
More recently added features:
Recently added Features:
Below are more details. If you have time for just one more look at one website, watch the many examples and tutorial videos on out youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/pdhowler
Here is an example of something put together for the Steam launch several years ago:
Here is something more recent, but also not the latest and greatest. It keeps evolving.
PD Howler vs. PD Artist vs. PD Particles?
PD Howler is the top of the line of several editions of digital painting programs powered by Project Dogwaffle.
PD Howler lets you paint with animated brushes over animations: paint with video over video.
PD Artist is a subset, without animation/video tools (except for animated brushes)
PD Particles is a small (and a little older) low-budget version for discovering particle brushes. The same and many more are included with both PD Howler and PD Artist.
If you don't animate, save a few bucks - go with PD Artist. You may consider upgrading to Howler ater. EVen if you don't animate, having the animation tools unlocks more features and filters also useful for single-frame static work. For example, render a landscape as an animation from several positions with moving camera, animated water, changing sun lighting position or animated skies and many other parameters, then pick the perfect shot! Or apply a filter with increasing or decreasing values, then pick the one that's perfect by comparing with the others.
PD Artist vs. PD Howler
At the risk of repeating ourselves: PD Artist is a subset of PD Howler. Or: PD Howler is a superset to PD Artist. If you want it all, get PD Howler. Here you start with PD Artist, and get discount codes for upgrading to PD Howler. You don't actually have to install the Artist edition. You'll get a full installer for Howler if you decide to move up. What's the difference between PD Artist and PD Howler?
PD Howler 2020 (v15) - try the free demo
Focused on painting and special FX filters on still images?
Read an article, learn more about PD Artist: What is PD Artist?
Here's just a brief description:
- many predefined brushes, media brushes, FX brushes, full image brushes, animated brushes
- layer for compositing (sorry, no opaque layers except when using a color keying trick like Magic Pink mode)
- Particle brushes for shrubbery and grass. Foliage brushes, Orbicle brushes (orbiting particles), and good old Bristle brushes
- advanced effects in the brush: alpha paint, drop shadow, glow, pigment lifting(!)...
- many many filters, too many to mention
- 3D pipeline: from 2D Image to 3D landscape and logos: 3D Designer, Puppy Rayray tracing, various 3D perspective and lighting tools...
- Filters for artistic effects, stylizing, photographic enhancements etc... (ok so now we mentioned a few).
- tools for building graphic elements
- Visual effects like awesome lens flares, gradients, frame your work, image-based displacement, forcefields
- compositing with greenscreen, bluescreen, any color
- Lua scripting - make your own filters or use and share some with GIMP and others using gluas.
For an exhaustive list of features, we recommend reading these:
- Features list (almost complete and updated)
- What's recently been added (most important features)
- History of (almost) all releases - what's Project Dogwaffle up to now?
- Online User Guide (Dogwaffle Help) - this will get you started to a deep dive
Important reminder: Some online reference material will relate to animated features and video tools. You'll just want to ignore the animation parts, as those are for PD Howler, for the most part. (few exceptions, such as animbrushes)
With that in mind, here is a more detailed list of features found since PD Artist 9.6:
- Natural media, many presets, fully customizable
- Full tablet support
- Custom brushes, bristle brushes, particle brushes, brushes under the influence of force fields
- 3D orbiting particle brushes (Orbicles)
- Dynamic Rules-based Foliage brushes
- Animated (multi-frame) custom brushes. Load image sequnces or AVI into the brush and paint!
- Pigment lifting, shadow drop, paper embossing and other post FX for even more realistic paint effects
- Well over 100 fast and full featured filters. Real-time is our middle name. See below for more on our Filters
- Premium color mixing tools. Red-yellow-blue, palette mixer, lots more.
- Multi-monitor support
- Mirror mode and Symmetrical painting, Kaleidoscope mode
- Frame your artwork
- brush keying
Filters and Special FX:
- Numerous filters (140 and counting)
- Filters for still images + Filters for animations (in animated brushes)
- Adjust: Color, Value, Threshold, Saturation, Hue/Sat/Val, Auto balance, Tint, Value only contrast, Levels, Curves, Color FX, Adjust All...
- Color: Map to current gradient, Negative, Invert value, Swap channels, Roll channels, Power curve, Posterize, Color replacer, Solarize, Sepia, Halftone, Halftone plus, Graphic halftone, Duotone, Tritone, 12-bit dither, 8-bit-dither, 1-bit-dither (Optimized, Error diffused, random,...)
- Blur: Simple blur, Box filter, Gaussian blur, Custom blur, Motion blur, Zoom blur, Mystic vision, Chroma blur, Radial blur
- Photographic: Soft contrast improvement, Light diffusion, Star filter, Fish eye, Fog filter, Sunset, Polarize, Day for night, Remove red from selection
- Sharpen: Sharpen, Unsharp mask, Digital photo enhance, maX sharpen
- Convolve: Grey emboss, Color emboss, Edge detect, Sobel edge detect, Color sobel edges, Maximum, Median, Minimum, MaxMin, MinMaxz, High pass, Abs, Gradient convolve, Convolution kernel, Iterative median, Adjustable median, Adjustable maximum, Adjustable minimum
- Noise: Value noise, Color noise, Jitter, Jitter blur plus, Film grain
- Transform: Transform, Shift, Warp mesh, Isometric 3d, 3D designer, Puppy Ray (Ray tracing) Spherize, Globe, Textrix, Z noise, Twirl, Crystalize, Sinoid, Mosaic, Quilt, Rubber sheet, Wave distort, Mirage, Mirror, Fisheye correction, 3d perspective
- Video: Slate color bars, De-interlace, Reverse fields, Reduce flicker, Video lines, Legalize (NTSC), Legalize (PAL), Countdown, TV pixels, Raster lines, Shift RGB, Repair dropput
- Artistic: Apply current paper, Wet paint, Brush strokes, Tarnish, Weave, Graphic Pen, Oilify, Cross contour, Woodcut
- Stylize: Lighting tool (3D), Glowing edges, Plastic wrap, Waxify
- Render: Plasma noise, Bumby toy, Noises (Perlin1, 2, Fractal, Cosine), Radiant, Sky, Dread plating, Cellular, Checkerboard, Cold lava, Europa, Starfield, Brick texture, Woodgrain, Grid, Zrings, Mandelbrot, Triangles, Color cubes
- Combine with Swap: Mix buffers, Alpha blit, Premultiplied alpha blit, Additive, Subtractive, Multiply, Divide, Screen, Luminance, Complement, Difference, Around grey, Greater than, Less than, Texturize, Binary, Hue, Sat, Val, And, Or, Xor
- Composite with Swap: Green screen, Blue screen, Color key
- Displace by Swap: Displace, Cloaking displace, Pool displace, Jitter displace, Colortwirl displace
- Emboss by Swap
- and many more: LUA filters (gluas), 3rd-party: DoggyFX, AnyFX for PD (by Pixelan), other 3rd-party plugins, make your own (free programming API), Audio Recorder, CalendarWidget, Channels, Clock, Clock2, DogLuaBrowser, DogLuaEdit, Fieldpack, Forcefield, FramefromClipboard, Halloween_Clock2, Hexadecimal Picker, HexPackedCOlor, MatteCutter, MediaPlayerWidget, ModDogPlayer (music), NumericSelect, Penny (another paint program within the paint program!!!), Black hole, BlueRemove, Brick texture, LightBloom, Mirrage, Oilify, SmudgeStick, Triangles, Lightning, heavenly Lens flares ...
Hungry for more?
Highlights of our favorite, recently added or enhanced tools:
- Pigment Lifting
- Foliage Brushes
- 3D Designer (GPU supported since v8.2) - now with erosion, sediments, coloration based on height and slope, clouds, shadows.!
- Ray Tracing with Puppy Ray, first on the CPU in v9.0 and now also on the GPU (since v9.1)
- Greatly enhanced Curve tool
- Clone Fill
- Crystalize with 3D look
- 3D Lighting effects
- 3D orbiting swarms brushes: Orbicles
- Fabulous Bristle Brushes
- Kaleidoscope mode
- Mandelbrot fractal filter
- Layer modes (sorry, no opaque layers yet)
To Probe even further:
So what's PD Artist and what is not? PD Artist is similar to its big brother, PD Howler, but doesn't let you work on animations or videos (except for using animated brushes animated brushes!). PD Artist thus lacks the "Animation" menu that can be seen in PD Howler. It also won't offer to animated the regular filters from the Filter menu. And it won't have the "Animated..." category of filters. But it will nonetheless do a lot of magical tricks to help you in your creative quest to do VFX - Visual Effects!
PD Artist 9 is built on the same super-fast core engine as the one used in PD Pro 9, Howler edition, and thus benefits from interface improvements, multithreading, SSE2 acceleration, speed enhancements and other optimizations found there.
PD Artist does go beyond its little cousin (PD Particles), which is primarily there for painting. PD Artist includes many more filters and tools for special effects. It also includes a 3D pipeline for rendering a variety of things such as natural looking terrains and fictitious landscapes, typically based on one or several currently loaded images, from the Main image to the Swap image and even to an image in the custom brush.
And of course Dogwaffle's Particle brushes, which include the original Optipustics, perfect for grass and weeds, as well as the crazy Orbicles, which are orbiting 3D swarms of pixels that follow the mouse and leave trails. PD Artist also now has the amazing Foliage brushes. Those are more advanced and consist of not just one rule for particles, but multiple rules, up to 9. Each rule can define the size, direction, color and other parameters of a full tree, from the trunk to the big branches to thinner branches, twigs and leaves and flowers on top. Draw a single brush stroke, and see a full bush or tree created right in front of your eyes, following your mouse direction and speed as well as undergoing its own transformation with gravity, shading and even image-based force fields for even crazier deformation!
To see and learn more about all PD Artist releases and its many features, start here - the full presentation.
The Free Giveaway : PD Howler 2020 (v13)
This is the full version, buil 56 was the last and final full release of Howler 13. Yours for free. Good for personal and commercial use. You may not resell this software but you may use it to create artwork that you can sell. Or just for your personal and shared enjoyment. If you want to resell Howler please join the BMTmicro affiliate network or contact us.
Once you have received this free version, use it and learn with it. Enjoy. you may also consider upgrading, at steep discounts. See below.
The free version is distributed through Shareware on sale.
Generally speaking, visit SharewareOnSale.com for more details. This is a time-limited promotional offer. (good for a month)
As of June 30 2021, it is live here:
And please join the discussion here, ask your questions,
We hope you won't miss it. Have fun, be cyber-safe and safe in all ways. 2020 was a bad year for many. Let's hope this is a good number for once ;-)
How to Scan your Download for Malware
If you have an antivirus program, get it updated now and scan with it. It's not enough, but it's a start.
Shareware On Sale also does a lot to keep you safe. But you know how it goes: if you want to do it right, you've gotta do it yourself. This might help:
We run our software through many checks with ESET, Malwarebytes, AVG, Avira and a few others, and of course Microsoft's tools too. We also see it go through additional inspection when uploaded and deployed to the store at BMTmicro.
Additionally, you can also have your downloaded file analyzed by many security engines, and see additional info here:
There are occasionally rare false positives there too, but it's generally very trustworthy.
We have scanned it through many antivirus programs and also on Virustotal - click the image below for full view:
Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. Ask Phil or Dan if you need guidance or tips. Phil has worked at ESET for 5 years, we've seen a thing or two.
Lastly, don't trust anyone, even us. We may be hacked and don't even know it. Unlikely, but not impossible. You don't know what you don't know.
No but seriously, enjoy digital painting. And stay safe. This is your life, your moment. If we've been able to help you thrive, it's mission accomplised for us.
Our Upgrade Offer: PD Howler 2022 at 55% off.
Normally, we offer 50% discount to anyone who has an older version and wants to upgrade to the latest and greatest.
For you, we're going the extra mile - or extra 5 percent ;-)
- Discount code for members of SOS: SOS55060721
- Amount of discount: 55% off the full price (regular price is around $69 - after discount you'll pay around $31 and change, plus perhaps a value added tax or sales tax in some regions.
- Products: this upgrade offer applies to Howler 2022 (v15) (the latest, just released!). It can also be used with PD Artist 14 (2021) or PD Howler 2021 (v14)
- Expiration date for this promo upgrade offer: August 1st 2021
- Start your order here: https://www.thebest3d.com/salesand enter the Discount code for Howler 2022
If you missed the upgrade deadline, don't despair, we'll still offer a 50% discount if you contact us. Ask for your upgrade discount coupon from Philip here: https://www.thebest3d.com/about
Should you get Howler or Artist?
What's in PD Howler that's not in PD Artist? ...... Mostly one thing: Animation.
(plus a bunch of filters that are only offered as animated filters)
PD Artist is a subset of PD Howler: PD Artist doesn't have animation tools. (except for animated brushes). With PD Howler, you will be able to apply filters over animations, video, image sequences. You will be able to do frame editing, motion estimated interpolation, greenscreen compositing over video, and a lot more, including traditional frame-by-frame animation with light table. And you can render your Puppy Ray terrains across animations, flying the camera across your landscapes. With Animation, you enter a new dimension: time! It's a whole new experience.
- First, check what's new in PD Howler
- Be sure to join our mailing list to stay informed through our sporadic Newsletter with new tutorials and releases, free updates, presets such as brushes, backgrounds and other content, and upgrades.
Over a thousand (1000!) free Tutorial Videos!
(look for the many Playlists, some specifically on PuppyRay Magic, PD Artist, on programming, gamedev,...)
Old tutorials are still interesting, we think. It makes you appreciate how far we've come, how it was 10, 15, even 20 years ago.
This below is a 5-part video made with upcoming version PD Howler 10. Much of what you see on painting can also be applied in similar ways to PD Artist
Reviews of PD Artist and PD Howler
This page contains many reviews and links to reviews. Some may be somewhat old, but never obsolete. We apologize if a link is broken; as time goes bye that tends to happen sometimes.
Example: "It’s hard to dislike any piece of software with a progress bar that’s labelled ‘computer stuff happening’. Compared to the formality of many packages, Dogwaffle is a rare outbreak of creative exuberance,..."
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
as seen at http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/users/index.html
I am very very grateful to Dogwaffle, it changed my life! It is going to give me a second career as an artist. If it was not for digital art i would have never met some great artists. Like Maria, my wife! So thanks a million Phil & Dan!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _